Friday, May 5, 2017

30 Minutes a Day???

Sometimes I get requests to make quilts.

I always...mostly always....have to say "no". I don't make quilts on commission. It's become easier over time to decline, especially since I realise that I don't have time to piece my own quilts! 

The funny thing is is that I seem to get my appliqued quilts done in a quicker time-frame. I often get asked how long it takes to make my applique quilts and I always answer that it takes two cups of coffee per day, that's how long it takes.

Most anyone who knows me knows that I'm an early riser. They also know that I start the day with two cups of coffee and some hand-sewing. It's my peaceful time, my meditation, if you will.

I'm rarely in a hurry to finish my applique quilts....it's all about enjoying the "journey"....enjoying the process....which I really do!

I've come across an interesting blogpost this week. It is by Annie at Annie's Ruby Slipperz. She has issued a challenge to sew for 30 minutes per day for the month of May.

You can read about it HERE. She is calling the challenge Sew30,SewFun.






I think I'll give it a try.

I'm quite behind on my 150 Canadian Women quilt and have been trying to think of a good way to get me back up to speed....this may help me a little...I hope!




So, my intention is to try to use my thirty minutes per day to play catch-up on this quilt.

I've got thirty blocks done....and I think the sew-along is up to seventy-five, or so...so I've got some stitching to do! I really don't want this one to fall by the wayside.


I'm almost finished making this skirt for my granddaughter. One side is made of Shopkins fabric (I think I got the idea for this from Confessions of a Fabric Addict!)...




The reverse is Batman fabric, Mina's other fascination...





I knew that it would be unlikely that both the Shopkins and Batman skirts would miraculously come out even at the bottom, so I made the Batman one slightly longer so it shows as a bit of extra ruffle on the Shopkins side. (thanks go to my friend Debbie for a couple of great tips!)

I just have a few threads to take care of and one more seam that needs topstitching and it will be done. We're seeing little Mina on Saturday, so I'll have to remember to take pictures of her in her new skirt!

It's quite soggy weather here lately, so I think I'll be spending a bit more time than usual in the studio! 

Linking up with:

Can I get a Whoop Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Finished or Not Fridays at Busy Hands Quilts
Finish it up Fridays at Crazy Mom Quilts

2 comments:

  1. 30 minutes a day sounds doable! I need to try to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you will be rewarded for the Sew30,Sewfun. You will be surprised at what can be done in just 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete