Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Oasis Update....and a bit of running...

I've been enjoying catching up on some hand-quilting this past few days, but I guess I'm a bit out of practice....my thumb knuckles are a bit sore. 

So, back to some applique this morning.

The orange peel blocks seem to be slow-going, but that's ok, no hurry!  These are for my Midnight at the Oasis and here is what I have, so far, up on the design wall....



I first saw this quilt at a quilt show....probably last Spring now. I was with my friend, Terry Anderson. We saw two of these quilts hanging side-by-side and kept coming back to have another look.

It's actually not unusual for the two of us to be attracted to the same quilt....it's happened a few times!

Terry has been kind enough to share a picture of her progress on her Midnight at the Oasis....



As you can see, Terry has a real eye for putting fabrics together! Her quilts are always brilliant....just look at that choice of background fabric....love it!

Terry is doing her trunk show in Hagersville in May at the Haldimand Quilters' Guild. I will have the honour of introducing my friend. If anyone has an interest in attending...just send me a message for details!

On the longarm lately was a beautiful, traditional Dresden Plate.  I did all the SID first, then went back and filled the background in with a simple meandering, which seemed most appropriate. Look at the way the wool batting makes the plates just "pop"...



------------------------------------------------------------------

Now....for an update on my running this past week!

As many of you know, last Sunday I ran the 5k portion of the Around the Bay Road Race for the first time.

What an experience.....the excitment, the atmosphere and the fun of enjoying it with five of my run buddies from the Learn to Run programme!



We were all feeling anxious beforehand, admitting to shaky legs, feeling like we were going to hyperventilate and I was even feeling a little vertigo!....but I knew we would be fine once we got started.

There were thousands involved in this race....it actually took me over four minutes to cross the "starting" line because of the throng of people!

We all had our "chip" attached to our shoe....





.....which records when you cross the start and finish of the race.

My goal was to beat the time of my Santa Race that I ran in October. This should have been easy since I've been working hard at it, but with the back problems I've had this past month I wasn't too sure.

I'm proud to say that I clocked in about four minutes faster than the Santa Race.....not bad!

The next race will be The Chocolate Run in May....maybe the promise of a chocolate martini at the end of the race will help me run a new Personal Best?

I have to say that I am not practiced at taking "selfie's" with my phone. I have to admit I'm pretty bad at it.

In the Bay Race, at the marker indicating 2k left to go, there was a very tall Grim Reaper heckling the runners....evidently he's a tradition at the race. I could have been 20 seconds faster if not for stopping to take this selfie with the Reaper...



...so bad that it's actually kinda good, don't you think???

Here I am, about to cross the finish line...





And, the icing on the cake....



I'm still on a high from the experience....running in the race is something I'll never forget.


Today I am linking up with Lorna at Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Bee Social, and with Silly Mama Quilts for WIPs - Works in Progress, and with Mama Spark's World for WIPS with Friends.

I am also linking up with Susan at Quilt Fabrication for Midweek Makers. Such a surprise when Susan contacted me to let me know that I am one of this week's featured bloggers....thanks so much!!!

Have a wonderful day!!

8 comments:

  1. wow!!
    thanks so much for sharing your updates!
    congrats on your race too!

    thanks for linking up!
    brooke@sillymamaquilts.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your run! You are an inspiration! And the quilting on the Dresdens is beautiful as is the work on the Orange Peels. Nicely dressed design wall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so inspired by you! That is one amazing accomplishment!
    And I loved the selfie... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray for your finish!
    I love your Oasis - really enjoying your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your center block to go with the Orange Peels - good job! Thanks for sharing your progress on Midweek Makers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your amazing finish on the Around the Bay race, I remember as a kid, sitting and anxiously waiting for the runners to go by my place when I lived on the beach strip, it was so exciting. The Dresden plate quilt is beautiful, your work always amazes me. Yes, I would love to go to see Terry's trunk show, can you give me the date and location. You need to let me know where you are speaking next, I still haven't seen yours. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the orange peel project...it is colorful and full of energy!
    Speaking of energy...congrats on your race and the terrific finish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the personal best at the run! Your version of Midnight at the Oasis is beautiful. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete