Sunday, November 6, 2016

Goodbye Summer

Image result for turn the clocks back images

Yes, it's the end of Daylight Savings Time. I don't know about you, but I think I'd rather have the extra hour of daylight in the evening....oh, well.

Sometimes Autumn makes me feel sad....I love my backyard and the time we spend in it doing gardening, having bonfires, kicking a ball around with the grandchildren, just sitting with a glass of wine and enjoying the sunset....and I know that this will soon be coming to an end 'til next Spring.  

Kathy from Kathy's Quilts has a post today about what sort of lighting we use as quilters as we do our stitching, now that the darker days are upon us. 

Here is my applique space, where I sit every morning to start my day with a little bit of hand work...


I have a regular table lamp, but what I consider one of my best investments is the Ott floor lamp. I bought this nine years ago, and I remember paying  for a replacement bulb at the same time so I'd have it just in case the original bulb burnt out.

Well, I would say that I generally use this lamp for 90 minutes every morning and I'm still on that original bulb. Also, I absolutely love the type of light it provides for hand-stitching. Ott lights come in many different varieties and I would highly recommend them.....not affiliated in any way, just a very satisfied customer!

At my sewing machine, I like extra lighting. Lately we had a great find at a thrift store. I have never heard of Luxo Lamps, but my husband has, so when he saw this lamp he knew it was a great buy...

Luxo LS-1A WT
I've just looked it up online and this one goes for over $170....ours cost $2!!! We have it perched at my sewing machine and I love it!


This week I've been getting back to my Sarah Fielke BOM, Happy Days. This has been a great experience this year with many methods covered along the way. I'm looking forward to doing the next one slated to start in the New Year!

Here is one block I completed this week, Alain the bunny (sharing the design wall with my hearts quilt)...


This morning I stitched on this next block....



I'm prepping by using a method that Sarah shows using these clips. I happened to have a package of them that I won....I don't think I ever would have bought them but am finding them surprisingly handy. I think I'll actually buy another package, so I have some for home and some in my go-to applique bag.

Every block has been so much fun and cheerful...


I'll end this post with a dose of cuteness. I've been taking Cooper to a new groomer. Here he is after coming home from his spa day...


....but the real cuteness was the seven-week-old Chow pups they had there...


Adorable!!!

I am also linking up with Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework for Oh, Scrap!.

Have a lovely Fall day, it looks like it's going to be a beauty!



8 comments:

  1. That looks like a great spot for some hand stitching! I love your Applique bunny and those bright hexie flowers! Have fun stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those puppies are just balls of fluff! Your dog's new "do" is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh those chows..the fat little white one! Adorable. What a nice cozy sewing corner you have. I have an Ott floor lamp like that in my living room or I'd never see to read, etc unless it was a bright sunny day.
    I find it hard to adjust at this time of year...miss being out on the porch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your applique space looks so inviting! No wonder you enjoy it so much! After using the wonder clips for your little pieces, do you baste them in some way? I've only done a little bit of EPP, but I've been glue basting and am open to trying other methods!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, I would rather have the 'extra' hour of daylight in the evening. I can handle the darkness in the morning but it annoys me that it is dark at 4:30 in the afternoon! I love the bunny block, she looks so springy. Blessings, Gretchen villacrestfarm@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need a much better space to work in the evenings. Your bunny block is adorable. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the bunny block and all those adorable pups.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely spot you have for your stitching!
    That lamp looks perfect... I like when you can move it to shine right where you need the light!

    ReplyDelete