Wednesday, December 2, 2015

A Mini Mystery

So for those of you who don't have time/are intimidated by the Quiltville mystery, Allietare.....how about something on a smaller scale?

A much smaller scale?

There is a twelve-day Christmas mystery being offered at Temecula Quilt Company, which can be viewed HERE.

A friend of mine had told me about this a month ago, and I thought I would take part instead of doing Allietare. Well, looks like I'm trying both!

Here is the first block, offered yesterday, measuring 2-3/4" unfinished.....
Not bad since I find mini-blocks a wee bit difficult (pun intended).

I don't usually work with white fabrics, so I'm glad I thought to watch out for this.....
A tip for beginner's - See that little sliver of red that the arrow is pointing to? I am going to press toward the white fabric and if I leave things "as-is" that bit of red will shadow through once this is quilted.

So I did a little trim with my rotary cutter and ruler.....
 It would be a pain, I guess to have to do this to many, many blocks, but in this case it was a quick little trim. Even if there are many blocks it is worth taking the time, or that pristine white background will potentially have all kinds of dark bits showing through once the quilting has been done. Believe me, once quilted this problem is much more pronounced, I've seen it time and time again.

I'm looking forward to today's mini mystery block! I hope it is another two-colour block as I would like to use just these two fabrics, if possible.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment