Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Vintage Squares

My little pup, Cooper, has looked pretty rough lately.....what with wrestling with visiting canine friends and bouncing through the long grass and dandelions. He's short enough that when he goes out to play in the morning dew, he comes in all wet up to his shoulders. I can't even keep him looking nice with daily brushings, here's a picture of the little scruff....

So, off he went yesterday for a spa day and came back soft and looking dapper....

I've been working away on a quilt for a new client. She tells me she started the embroidered blocks 25 years ago and then the project was put on hold....I'm sure many of us have experienced this, she is not alone in this!

After all these years of doing quilts for people I have yet to work on one of these. I have worked on cross-stitched quilts but not this type that has the quilting lines marked on it with blue dots that (hopefully) disappear later with water. I know that any of us that lived through the 60's and 70's remember these types of blocks. This quilt has 18 of them and they're quite pretty. The blocks are 16" and I was a bit stumped on what to do in the big, open blocks that haven't got the embroidery.

A bit of "piano keys" in the border, which is always nice and adds an elegant touch. Then a chance to use my new rulers to play with some curved cross-hatching. I've been looking for years for the best way to be able to do this and finally it's happening.

Another picture.....

....and a picture of the first of the eighteen cross-stitched blocks....

Well, I'd better get to it. It's another busy day around here topped off with a trip to Costco this evening for a "last time before the wedding" shopping trip!

Have a great day!




No comments:

Post a Comment